March 27, 2006

New Stuff

Somehow it is absolutely ridiculous that I buy so much music and spend so little time listening to it. So the next few days I will put the search for new music on a hold and instead focusing on listening to some of the many new albums I've bought the past month. Along the way I'll try to add a few comments.

Martin Bernt - Juxtapose
I mentioned this Danish guy in one of my posts last week and Saturday morning my ordered copy of the album arrived in the mail. Apparently he only sells the album at concerts, but I sent him an email and got him to send me a copy. The price was a very reasonable DKK 80 (EUR 10.7) and the album is definitely worth the cost, because this is a real fine debut from a very talented artist. The influences (Bowie + PJ Harvey) are still very obvious, though I'll have to add Oasis, Lou Reed and REM to the ones I listed the other day. If ordering the album is too much of an effort, you can download the entire album for free at Martin Bernt Music Online. And why shouldn't you, because it IS very good!

David Gilmour - On An Island
The album is polished, well-produced and features lots of guitars, and it would probably have worked very fine as another eagerly awaited Pink Floyd album. I've only listened to it once so far and I seriously don't know what to think. Maybe it's my recent obsession for unsigned indie bands that have drawn my musical interest in another direct? I don't know, but it is a fact that I felt rather indifferent on our first encounter. Filed under "more listens required".

Powderdust - Minding The Gap
This is another Danish band/artist I mentioned in a post last week. I found the album at my local CD shop this Saturday, so I thought I'd give it a shot. So far the album has been a surprisingly positive experience (it's actually quite good), because electronic triphop isn't something I'd normally dig. 4 songs from the album can be downloaded at Myspace.
Leaving A Space [mp3]
Declare Your Love [mp3]

Mads Langer - Attention Please
Reviewers haven't been nice to this album and after a few listens it is not all that difficult to understand why. It starts out very nicely with a couple of quite catchy songs (which proves that he has plenty of talent), but halfway through the album you start getting really bored having all kind of difficulties preventing yourself from changing the CD. The album was produced by Søren Balsner of Carpark North, but only on a few and rare occasions do this shine through. This is third Danish album I'm listening to today and probably (and sadly) the one that will sell the best, because the commercial radio stations will find plenty of harmless stuff on this album, thus not "jeopardizing" their playlists.

No comments: