June 18, 2007

Vesterbro Festival - Some Thoughts...

Not a lengthy report - just a few thoughts (I didn't bring the camera, so no pics either)!

Was waiting for a band to start playing Who'll Stop The Rain Saturday afternoon. The water was pouring down.

The Festival is ambitious and wants to introduce the public to as many bands as possible. Unfortunately this means that the minutes dedicated to each band is very limited. I don't necessarily think that the bands need to play more than 30-40 minutes for the concert to be enjoyable/entertaining, but I think everyone would benefit if more time was available in between concerts for sound checks etc. That way the bands would feel more comfortable and the audience would get a better sound and (more importantly) a better impression of each band. Finally I think the placing of bands on various stages needs a little/some afterthought.

I spent at least 5 minutes watching each of these bands (x = entire set): A Kid Hereafter, Entakt (x), Nana Jacobi, Breum (x), Cinnober, Green Concorde (x), The Broken Beats, August and the Apples, Amazonair (x), US With Millions (x), Surfact, Carlas, Kind of girl (x), Swing of Sahara (x), Velour (x), Don't Go To New York, Volvoe (x) and 1 2 3 4 (x).

I was especially happy to (finally) catch Entakt and Kind of girl live, as they both have been on my "wish list" for a long time.

My age is starting to show. At 10:30 each night I was dead tired (and my back was hurting), so I decided to leave. This unfortunately meant that I missed Factory45 and Mushi.

Had the pleasure of saying hello to Sissel of Kind of girl and Anders/Thomas of Volvoe.

I had never heard of August & The Red Apples prior to the Festival, but the band's country-rock sounded really great and was a very pleasant surprise.
+ Desert Night Sky

Another surprise was the five-piece Amazonair. Despite having problems with the sound throughout the entire set, it was easy to hear that these guys write some fine Coldplay/Keane/Travis inspired pop tunes.
+ Because Tonight

Finally 1 2 3 4 (apparently pronounced "en to tre fire" and not "one two three four") was absolutely great. To me the lead singer looks the prototype of an "anti pop star", but he sure can sing.
+ Coltrane

No comments: