August 18, 2010

Busy...

One of my colleagues is on holiday, so I’ve been real busy the past couple of days. Do I have to say that work is overrated? It does help paying the bills I know, but still it’s overrated!

Happy birthday to long-time reader and contributor J.A., who turns thirty-something (I guess) today!

Busy or not I always try to squeeze in some time to listen to some music and this situation was no exception. So here’s some of the stuff that’s been keeping me company while I was toiling away.

The energetic and irresistible Past Lives by Australians Parades has been on constant repeat (more or less) since digging it out of the mailbox the other day. The music has been labeled “art-rock”, though I believe a good old mash-up of genres like “electronic indie alternative pop/rock etc.” will be just as accurate.
+ Past Lives

The new song by One Weekly Gun is called “…perhaps the dumbest song yet …” by the artist himself and who am I to argue with a statement like that? Judge for yourself!
+ Two Guys Named Humphrey

I’ve been giving the soon to be released Distance album by Tears Run Rings a few listens and I’m quite impressed so far. But then again. Since I’m such an incredible sucker for shoegaze/dream-pop bands, this can hardly be a surprise to anyone!
+ Reunion

It’s been quite a while since the last time I listened to the brilliant A Classic Education, so the mail I found promoting the band’s forthcoming US release of the Hey There Stranger EP was most welcomed. Opening track Gone To Sea is as excellent as everything else we’ve ever heard from the band so far, and personally I’m quite thrilled to see their beautiful cover of Toi being included as the last (and sixth) track on the EP.
+ Gone To Sea
+ Toi (Gilbert Bécaud cover)

2 comments:

José Antonio said...

Thanks a lot Morten!!! ;)
Take care!

tom said...

Really love Parade's Past Lives... Have you heard of the Dodos? they sound somewhat similar... In particular a song called "seasons". Glad to see you're still blogging!